Prince Harry and Meghan will move back to the United Kingdom later this month after six years in California.
The return, which has been described as “surprising” by British media and a royal expert, marks a major shift for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex since they stepped back from royal duties in 2020.
The BBC reported that the couple plan to settle in a private, non-royal residence outside London, while their children, seven-year-old Prince Archie and five-year-old Princess Lilibet, have already been enrolled at a British school ahead of the new academic year in September.
Return after years abroad
Harry and Meghan relocated to California in 2020 after stepping down as senior royals, a decision that followed growing tensions within the royal family and intense media scrutiny.
Their departure, widely dubbed “Megxit” by British tabloids, was later followed by Harry’s memoir “Spare” and the couple’s interview with Oprah Winfrey, both of which further strained family relations.
According to the BBC, the Sussexes visited King Charles at his Highgrove residence in July, the first time the monarch had seen his grandchildren in person in more than four years.
The palace described the gathering as a “private family occasion.”
Prince William and Catherine, Princess of Wales, have also been informed of the family’s relocation plans, though William and Harry have been estranged for years.
READ MORE: Dua Lipa gives banned, challenged books a home at The Manifesto Library in Portugal

Security remains unresolved
The move comes despite Harry’s long-running concerns over security in Britain.
The duke has previously said he did not feel safe bringing his wife and children to the United Kingdom after losing a legal battle over government-funded police protection.
Following reports of the relocation, a Home Office spokesperson said Britain’s protective security arrangements are “rigorous and proportionate” and that decisions are made by the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (RAVEC), according to the BBC.
While details of the family’s security arrangements have not been disclosed, royal commentator Robert Hardman told the BBC some issues surrounding protection might “have been resolved”, although it remained unclear who would bear the costs.
Fresh chapter
Harry has previously expressed his desire to reconcile with his father, who has been undergoing cancer treatment since his diagnosis two years ago, although the type of cancer has not been disclosed.
King Charles III was also informed of their planned move on Sunday, and that he welcomes the chance to spend more time with his son and grandchildren in a private capacity, AFP said.
However, the couple’s status remains unchanged, with no plans to resume their roles as working members of the royal family.
The Sussexes are expected to retain their home in Montecito, California, as well as a property in Portugal, according to The Sun.
READ NEXT: Meta in the spotlight as landmark child-safety trial begins
