Gunil, a former member of the South Korean rock band Xdinary Heroes, said that leaving the group voluntarily never crossed his mind amid the fan insult allegations, disputing JYP Entertainment’s claim that both parties were on the same page about his exclusive contract termination.
A statement released on Thursday through his legal representative, attorney Sung Jae-hwan of Joowon Law Firm, specified that the decision to depart from the group and the agency’s move to end his contract were neither consented to nor agreed upon by the artist.
This directly opposed the announcement JYP posted on August 13, which asserted that all concerns were settled through “mutual agreement” after determining the gravity of the controversy would make it “difficult to continue group activities together.”
Lawyer denies wider allegations against Gunil
The scandal that cost Gunil his spot in the band centered on several online posts that circulated a private phone conversation capturing his negative remarks about fans.
He had previously apologised to fans in response and admitted that he was the man behind the leaked recording.
“The artist’s use of inappropriate language in a private setting was a lapse that cannot be justified for any reason,” explained the Joowon Law Firm.
“That said, at the time the artist was under considerable psychological strain from certain online posts and from acts of privacy intrusion that went beyond all bounds, and he came to use inappropriate language in the course of unburdening himself in a private phone call.”
READ MORE: Music news: Gunil’s exit exposes K-pop’s artist protection struggles

The lawyer also dismissed multiple accusations online, including claims that Gunil had continuously disrespected or attacked fans, spoken poorly of his bandmates, or been unfaithful in a relationship.
“Having reviewed the records, this counsel finds that it is not true that the artist has habitually or repeatedly directed abuse or criticism at fans of the band,” a report from The Korea JoongAng Daily quoted.
“We also state clearly that it is not true that the artist has spoken ill of his fellow members or that he saw someone else while in a relationship.”
The statement said that the online article that triggered the scandal highlighted several claims with unverified information, which had harmed the artist’s growing career.
False claims can cause lasting online harm
Gunil’s situation underscores the possible consequences of circulating false information online.
With billions of people having access to social media, fake claims can swiftly spread and draw engagement, potentially damaging a person’s reputation, career and relationships before they can receive proper validation.
They could also subject individuals to legal repercussions, including possible civil or criminal liability depending on the jurisdiction and nature of the claims.
Gunil’s lawyer said legal action against the person who initially posted the allegations was possible, but Gunil had chosen to forgive the individual.
He also apologised to fans and fellow members for the situation and said he hoped to continue discussions with JYP over his contract.
Xdinary Heroes will continue as a five-member group comprising Jooyeon, Jungsu, Gaon, Jun Han and O.de.
READ NEXT: Music news: MAMAMOO reunite with Filipino Moos after three years
